Ash Die Back

If your not sure where to place a post, put it in this section.

Ash Die Back

Postby Compo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:00 am

Has anyone got any inside information on this disease? It has the potential to make Dutch Elm Disease look like a mild case of flu. Ash is one of the big three trees and losing the species from the landscape is too horrific to contemplate. By the time the government has set up a commitee to oversee a working party reporting to a supremo on a massive salary it will be too late. It probably already is - meetings don't compensate for a lack of action.

Aside from the fatuous advice telling the public to wash their wellies and their dogs, has anyone heard of any movement restrictions on cut timber, any limits on sale of firewood, any instructions as to sterilisation of equipment from job to job? Any news on compensation for landowners? How about the degree of liability as far as contractors are concerned if they are linked to spore dissemination?

If anyone knows how to stop it now would be a good time to speak up!
Compo

Re: Ash Die Back

Postby Mow » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:56 am

Hi Compo.

On radio 5 live yesterday I heard that only the young trees are going to be destroyed and the older trees left for the moment as apparantly in another part of the world the older trees managed to survive the disease. It was a brief comment made on the radio so my info is abit sketchy.

More info needs to be made available on this issue as there are people using the idea of the disease to cut down uninfected trees just because a leaf falls off it.

I cant believe how long it has taken the government to act on this disease issue.

Will post more info when I get it.

Mow.
Mow

Re: Ash Die Back

Postby Compo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks Mo, looks like it's just you and me concerned about this. Done a bit of research on this subject but won't bore you with the details.
I doubt it can be eradicated but it could be ring fenced. It's not the only problem we're facing with imported tree diseases. For a country that has the lowest level of woodland in Europe and is the third highest importer of timber in the World we seem to take things like this lightly. Perhaps we need an organisation to speak for tree people, landowners and contractors. Credit to PSM for trying to get a discussion forum going.
Compo

Return to General